1. Photography: Couples should ask if the Officiant is going to have limitations on their photographer. Many Officiants are particular about the use of photography and where photographers are allowed to stand.
2. Reviews: Where can I read reviews on your that couples have independently posted? There is no point asking an Officiant to provide their own references. An independent wedding directory will give the best perspective of the good, bad and the ugly. Ask, What was the worst review you’ve received and why did you receive it? This might give them the opportunity to address any poor reviews they have received online that have filled your mind with doubt about them.
3. Timing: How much time do they leave before and after weddings. If your family gets caught in traffic, an Officiant who is running the service as a business will leave to go to the next wedding and may become very agitated. Ask if they have ever left a couple unwed.
4. Wedding Requests: How does your wedding Officiant get most of their wedding requests? Ideally a good 10-20% should come from word of mouth and people who have referred the Officiant to others and the rest from reading a website with great reviews or a website with videos that clearly portray the Officiant. If their couples come from Kiijii or Craigslist, they likely service bargain brides who don’t mind a low quality service.
5. Clothes: What will they be wearing? You should be able to determine this from photos, but its worth a discussion since they are in your ceremony photos.
6. Backup Officiant: Do you have a backup number we can call if you can't make it? This is a worst case scenerio situation, but you want to have someone to conduct the wedding if anything were to happen. With this in mind, its good to have a copy of the ceremony in your bag and a friend on hand who is willing to step in. Paperwork can always be signed later that week, so don't let it ruin things!
7. What is your Officiant's Licence due? Every Officiant should know this answer. An Officiant in Niagra Falls went 10 years of marrying people with an expired licence. It is important that you check that your officiant is listed with your government.