Featured Posts

Divorced outside of Canada? Here are the steps to get married in Canada.

If you were married and divorced outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services before you can get a marriage licence in Ontario.

To get the authorization, complete these forms and steps:

  • Marriage Licence Application ;

  • Statement of Sole Responsibility for your divorce, signed by you and your new partner; (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)

  • An original or court-certified copy (certified by the proper court officer in the place the divorce or annulment was granted) of the divorce decree or annulment. If they are in a language other than English or French, you must include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator; and

  • A legal opinion letter from an Ontario lawyer, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. The letter should be addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario. The Office of the Registrar General will fax a sample legal opinion letter to your lawyer if they call 1-800-461-2156.

The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks once it is received*. Send the completed forms to:

The Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office P.O. Box 4600 189 Red River Rd. Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

If you need to expedite this process, send a letter of urgency with the package via courier. Use Express Post envelopes that do not require signatures because it goes to a mail room.

Causes for delays include: applicants not having everything signed, lawyer not completing the legal opinion letter fully and not responding quickly to returned applications.